A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Saturday, October 1, 2016

October Rust Month

Hi everyone,


Just wanted to drop in for a quick introduction; a more detailed post about me coming later. I'm Angie Knowles, and I will be the resident artist for October. Thanks to Judith and Beth for giving me this opportunity.

This month is Natural Rust Dyeing Month. At least in my world it is. We will take a look at getting started dyeing fabric with rust. So if you don't have any rusty implements around, go beg, borrow and temporarily appropriate some. You can always give them back in November, or not!.

Meet me back here on Tuesday and I will tell you a little about myself, so you can get to know me better.

In the meantime, here is my website, so you can have a peek at what I do.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us Angie... Rust is a favourite technique for we here in Canada - seems we have a great supply at ready - picked up along street curbs, on country roads and farmyards.

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find this month informative. Here is Florida, rust is easy to do. Leave metal outside for 2 days, and it is covered with rust.

    What part of Canada are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to know how to do this. I have questions. Is it colorfast? Can the resultant fabric be used for clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CoyoteBarks, yes to both questions. And I will be discussing both those issues this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany's in Ontario, but this Canuck is living in Central Alberta...where I also have easy access to 'rusty bits'. Got some rusty spikey finials (original decorated the top of a wrought iron fence)...so will follow along for ideas and info to see how best to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Margaret, hopefully you will get lots of new ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.